Monday, November 21, 2011

..Food addiction in Osaka..#2 回転寿司


This is the second entry of my food addiction series in Osaka
All pictures taken with my iPhone.

京の着倒れ、大阪の食い倒れ
Kyo no ki-daore, Osaka no kui-daore
Kyoto people ruin themselves on clothes,
Osaka people ruin themselves on food


回転寿司 (kaitenzushi)

Kaitenzushi litteraly means "rotation sushi" because the sushi plates come on a conveyor belt. I bet you already guessed where it was invented? Yes, in Osaka!
Most of the time, you find the following fishes on the conveyor belt:
  • Salmon
  • Maguro (tuna)
  • Toro (fatty tuna)
  • Tamago (egg)
  • Hamachi (young yellowtail)
  • Ika (squid)
  • Tako (octopus)
  • Ebi (prawn)
  • Aji (horse mackerel)
  • Unagi (conger eel)
  • Anago (sea eel)
  • Kani (crab)
  • Saba (mackerel)
  • Ikura (salmon roe)


Other sushi/maki/warship rolls are listed on the menu and should be requested to staff people or directly to the sushi shokunin (sushi chef).

In small restaurants the selection of fishes is also limited on the coveyor belt and you have to ask directly:
「まぐろ一丁 
maguro icchou
"one (plate of) tuna!"

「いか・はまち二丁ずつー!
 ika, hamachi nichou zutsu
"ika and hamachi, 2 (plates) of each!"

The sushi shokunin will confirm the order and gladly make the sushi for you.
If you are lucky, you can even see them cutting the fish in front of you! It is very impressive how fast they can do: a 2 meter-long tuna can be entirely transformed into sushi within 10 minutes!


Since I love kaiten sushi, I usally go there at least once per week and with 1 plate = 120 (1,5 USD), I usually eat for 720 (8 USD).

My favorite Kaiten Sushi restaurant near my place in Osaka Umeda:

3 comments:

  1. I love food too! Sushi looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God it looks so delicious!^^ Thank you for this report very much, so nice to see! I like this food so much:) I want to taste sushi in this restoraunt when I come to Japan:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah I love kaiten sushi!! I wish I had money to go more often.. only taking the 100yen plates is just NOT satisfying lol!

    ReplyDelete